Improving the management and protection of water bodies
All actions supported within specific objective SO23 of priority axis 2 shall contribute to a better resource efficiency and an innovative water management, in accordance with the Waste Directive, the Water Framework Directive and the Flood Directive, which have to be implemented on a national level, and the Danube River Basin Management Plan (2015).
Possible are such projects that focus on joint studies and research works as well as surface and groundwater modelling in the preparatory stage, including the construction of infrastructure necessary for this purpose. Joint surveys and monitoring will help to efficiently improve the knowledge about the water situation in the programme area. Joint pilot measures shall harmonise flood protection and revitalization of river systems and improve the knowledge about the status of groundwater bodies.
Under specific objective SO23 the following action is mentioned as eligible with several examples:
Cooperation in the field of water management and public services, securing and improving sustainable utilisation of water resources according to the Water Framework Directive and Flood Directive, such as
- Joint monitoring surveys and status assessment of border water bodies to detect the status and impacts of measures taken.
- Determination of ecological minimum flow needs for surface water bodies.
- Preparing and implementing joint pollution load assessment tests for cross-border surface water bodies, determination of limit values.
- Exchange of innovative waste water purification methods.
- Determination of available ground water resources.
- Preparing and implementing river restoration measurements in the border area.
- Measures of integrated flood protection, including refining and setting up a joint cross-border flood forecast systems
- Development and implementation of measures elaborated on the basis of the results of the different water related strategic studies.
- Construction or upgrading of jointly used infrastructure for the purpose of research and monitoring in the field of water management.