SO32 Eco mobility
Enhancing sustainable mobility on the local and regional level
In general, all actions supported within specific objective SO32 of priority axis 3 shall contribute to an enhanced attractiveness of public transport, to ultimately reduce and prevent negative environmental impacts of the overall transport system.
Compared to SO31, the actions supported within the specific objective SO32 shall have a clear focus on environmentally friendly transport (no investments in roads) and shall concentrate primarily on the local and regional level. A reference to the TEN-T networks is not necessary.
Possible are projects with the following key aspects and targets:
- Interoperability of transport modes: The construction of new as well as the extension of existing park and ride facilities will improve the interoperability between the road and the public transport system and encourage car drivers to change to train or bus. This will relieve roads reaching the capacity limit and thus the environment. Providing bike and ride facilities at railway stations and bus stops will further increase the catchment area of the public transport system and facilitate the access to the stations by environmentally friendly means of transport. Similar benefits result from the development of flexible public transport services on the local level (e.g. “call-a-bus” systems).
- Bicycle infrastructure: New and upgraded cycling infrastructure will not only improve the access to bus and railway stations, but will make it easier and safer for people to use the bicycle for their daily trips. Special focus will be given to closing gaps in the existing local, regional and cross-border cycling network.
- Coordination of transport modes: By creating a cross-border transport platform the harmonisation of services between rail operators and bus companies will become easier than in the past. Better coordination between the existing transport services will improve the quality and attractiveness of the overall system.
- Mobility management and information services: Regional mobility centres act as one-stop-shops for information about the existing mobility offers in the region. Furthermore, they implement mobility management activities (information campaigns for commuters, tourists, schools, etc.) and offer consulting services to companies (e.g. for environmentally friendly commuting or sustainable mobility concepts in tourism). Better and easily accessible information about the existing mobility offers increases the probability that people will use environmentally friendly mobility offers instead of private cars.
Examples of actions eligible under specific objective SO32 are:
1. Actions that improve the interoperability of the regional transport system, for the construction of new as well as the extension of existing park and ride, bike and ride and park and drive facilities in transport nodes
2. Actions that improve the coordination of the regional public transport services, for the development of integrated information systems, tariff systems and timetables
3. Actions that close the gaps in the cross-border public transport system, for new/adapted cross-border rail and bus services
4. Actions that support the possibilities to use the bicycle for daily trips, for new and upgraded cycling infrastructure (cycle paths, parking facilities, etc.) closing existing gaps in the local, regional and cross-border cycling network.
5. Actions that improve mobility on the local level, for alternative mobility concepts (flexible public transport offers, car-sharing, etc.), walking, e-mobility
Actions above can be implemented by preparation of joint strategies, concepts and action plans as well as small scale investments.
Furthermore, other actions in mobility management shall be implemented, like:
6. Establishment and operation of regional mobility centres that act as one-stop-shops for information about the existing mobility offers in the region
7. Promotion of the use of environmentally friendly means of transport for different target groups (commuters, tourists, schools, etc.)